Oh Allah! I seek Your guidance by virtue of Your knowledge,
and I seek ability by virtue of Your power, and I ask You of Your great bounty. You have power; I have none. And
You know; I know not. You are the Knower of hidden things.
Oh Allah! If in Your knowledge, (this matter*) is good
for my religion, my livelihood and my affairs, immediate and in the future, then ordain it for me, make it easy for me, and
bless it for me. And if in Your knowledge, (this matter*) is bad for my religion, my livelihood and my affairs, immediate
and in the future, then turn it away from me, and turn me away from it. And ordain for me the good wherever it may be,
and make me content with it.
1. The above dua is to be recited when there is uncertainty about the advisability
of taking a decision, provided it is Islamically permissible.
2. After perfoming wudu(ablution), one should offer to raka's(sunnah requited
for this purpose).
3. Before reciting the dua it should be made sure that the person is not already
inclined to a given decision; otherwise it will mean that the person is not serious about seeking guidance of Allah(Subhana
4. In making this dua the actual matter or decision concerning wich divine guidance
is being sought should be mentioned instead of the words (Hathal Amra) in transliteration or the words "this matter" in the
5. After reciting the dua (immediately or later on), one may feel more favorably
disposed towards one choice or the other.
Source: "Selected Prayers"by Dr. Jamal A. Badawi